Purpose and Scope
The policy should be read together with the National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out in the Privacy Act. A copy of the NPPs is available on the Australian Privacy Commissioner's Website. (http://www.privacy.gov.au/).
- The Assembly will comply with the NPPs. If there is any inconsistency between this policy and the NPPs, then the NPPs prevail;
- The Service will only use personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected.
- The Service will only use personal information about an individual for a secondary purpose (i.e. something beyond the scope of the primary purpose) if that individual has consented or the use is otherwise permitted by the NPPs;
- The Service will take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure and will, subject to the NPPs, comply with any request from a person to correct or remove his or her information. The Assembly has a Privacy Officer who is responsible for storing, correcting and giving people access to personal information collected about them. The Assembly may charge fees for access to personal information;
- The operating procedures (whether or not they are formalised in a manual) of the Service will comply with this policy and the NPPs; and
- The Assembly's Privacy Officer is empowered to receive and deal with any complaint that the Assembly has not complied with this policy or the NPPs.
The Service will use reasonable administrative, technical, personal and physical measures to safeguard personally identifiable information in its possession against loss, theft, unauthorised use, disclosure or modification. However, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.